On Tuesday 10 November as part of Aspect’s NAIDOC Week celebrations and our Reconciliation Action Plan commitments, we are excited to launch this new and free resource that can be used at home, in therapy or in the classroom.
This resource is a result of a collaboration between The I Am Movement, Lakkari Art and Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect). Bringing the vision of a mother of an Aboriginal boy on the autism spectrum, the knowledge of Aspect’s Aboriginal Speech Therapists and the beautiful artwork and storytelling of Lakkari Pitt.
The resource sits alongside a set of books by First Nations authors and illustrators. (The books are listed in the resource flyer below). It incorporates a way to include culture into therapy and shared book reading and has a number of tailored learning and communication goals.
What is included in the free resource:
The resource includes a set of flash-cards that supports therapists, families and children on the autism spectrum to read books together. They come with an information flyer which gives background about the collaboration, details about the books and steps for how to use the flash cards.
- Download the flyer to learn more, including the list of books: Shared Book Reading Our Way flyer
- Download the flash-cards for free here: Shared Book Reading Our Way flash cards
- Order a set of flash-cards and flyer (subject to availability). Fill out the form below to order your cards.
Order a set of Flash-Cards
How to access the books:
You can find the books at your local library, bookstore or access the books through the following online stores:
- Magabala Books: Therapists and teachers can apply for the educational discount at 20% off https://www.magabala.com/pages/education-discount?_pos=1&_sid=6ebb93c76&_ss=r
- Freemantle Press: Offer discounts on multiple orders https://www.fremantlepress.com.au/corporate-sales
- Booktopia: https://www.booktopia.com.au/