Fact sheets for you and your family
- What is autism?
- Why should I get my child diagnosed?
- Is autism genetically inherited?
- Girls and women on the autism spectrum
- Being a parent on the autism spectrum
- Siblings of children on the autism spectrum
- Mental health and wellbeing for your child
- Sensory processing
- Diets and autism
- Medications for autism
- Tackling bullying
- Social boundaries
- Positive Behaviour Support
- iPads for autism
- Explaining death and coping with loss
- Adult life on the autism spectrum
Aspect's annual updates on autism research from Australia and around the world
- Aspect Research Update 2016
- Aspect Research Update 2015
- Aspect Research Update 2014
- Aspect Research Update 2013
- Aspect Research Update 2012
Aspect research studies and evaluations
Diagnosis and assessment
- Research insights Issue 3 April 2010 - Evaluating the usefulness of the Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS)
- Research insights Issue 2 December 2009: Report into a randomised controlled trial of two early intervention programs for young children with autism
- Research insights Issue 4 April 2011: An independent outcome sudy of a 'Treatment and education of autistic and related communication-handicapped children'
- Aspect Pivotal Response Training (PRT) Pilot: Final Report
- Research insights Issue 5 February 2012: An independent outcome study of a Pivotal Response Training (PRT) intervention for children with autism spectrum disorder
- Research insights Issue 6 February 2013: Evaluation of the Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP) program with children with autism spectrum disorder
- Naguib Bedwani, M-A., Bruck, S., & Costley, D. (2015). Augmentative and alternative communication for children with autism spectrum disorder: An evidence-based evaluation of the Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP) programme. Cogent Education, 2(1).
- Dixon, R. M., Verenikina, I., Costley, D., & Pryor, S. (2015). The Use of iPADs in the Home Setting for Students With Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Special Education Technology, 30(4), 193-206.
- Research insights Issue 9 March 2015: Evaluation of the Early Intervention Readiness Program: a post-autism diagnosis family support program
- Tolmie, R., Bruck, S., & Kerslake, R. (2016). The Early Intervention Readiness Program (EIRP): A post-ASD diagnosis family support program. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, Online First 22 April 2016.
- Sutherland, R., Hodge, A., Bruck, S., Costley, D., & Klieve, H. (2017). Parent-reported differences between school-aged girls and boys on the autism spectrum. Autism, published online March 13, 2017, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361316668653
Teaching and schooling
- Roberts, J. M., Keane, E., & Clark, T. R. (2008). Making inclusion work: Autism Spectrum Australia's satellite class project. Teaching Exceptional Children, 41(2), 22-27.
- Keane, E., Aldridge, F. J., Costley, D., & Clark, T. (2012). Students with autism in regular classes: A long-term follow-up study of a satellite class transition model. International journal of inclusive education, 16(10), 1001-1017.
- Aspect TEACCH Pilot: Final Report
- Power, A., & Costley, D. (2014). Preservice Teachers’ Learning Among Students With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Australasian Journal of Special Education, 38(01), 34-50.
- Costley, D., Clark, T., & Bruck, S. (2014). The Autism Spectrum Disorder Evaluative Education Model A School-Based Method of Assessing and Selecting Interventions for Classroom Use. SAGE Open, 4(4).
- Carter, M., Stephenson, J., Clark, T., Costley, D., Martin, J., Williams, K., ... & Bruck, S. (2014). Perspectives on regular and support class placement and factors that contribute to success of inclusion for children with ASD. Journal of International Special Needs Education, 17(2), 60-69.
- Mills, C, Chapparo, C. & Hinitt, J. (2016). The impact of an in-class sensory activity schedule on task performance of children with autism and intellectual disability: A pilot study. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. Advance online publication doi:10.1177/0308022616639989
- Research insights Issue 10 December 2016: Home Education
- Research insights Issue 8 Oct 2013: We Belong Too: the experiences, needs and service requirements of adolescents with autism spectrum disorder
- Research insights Issue 1 December 2009: Where are they now? A long-term follow up study of students with autism graduating from Autism Spectrum Australia's (Aspect) satellite classes
- Research insights Issue 7 March 2013: We Belong: the experiences, aspirations and needs of adults with Asperger's disorder and high functioning autism
- Baldwin, S., Costley, D., & Warren, A. (2014). Employment Activities and Experiences of Adults with High-Functioning Autism and Asperger’s Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1-10.
- Baldwin, S., & Costley, D. (2015). The experiences and needs of female adults with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder. Autism, 1362361315590805.
- Howlin, P., Arciuli, J., Begeer, S., Brock, J., Clarke, K., Costley, D., ... & Guastella, A. (2015). Research on adults with autism spectrum disorder: Roundtable report. Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability,40(4), 388-393.
- Haas, K., Costley, D., Falkmer, M., Richdale, A., Sofronoff, K., & Falkmer, T. (2016). Factors Influencing the Research Participation of Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1-13.
- Optimising the recruitment and retention of adults in longitudinal research. The Report, Executive Summary and infographic for this Autism CRC study are available on the Autism CRC website, click here to view.
- Shining a Light on the Autism Spectrum: Experiences and Aspirations of Adults (2016)
Autism service providers and support workers
- Johnsson, G., Kerslake, R., Crook, S., & Cribb, C. (2016). Investigation of training and support needs in rural and remote disability and mainstream service providers: implications for an online training model. Australian Health Review.
- Johnsson, G., Lincoln, M., Bundy, A., & Costley, D. (2016). A Systematic Review of Technology-Delivered Disability Training and Support for Service Providers: Implications for Rural and Remote Communities. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 3(4), 387-398.