What is Support Coordination?
Support Coordination is a ‘Capacity building’ NDIS funded support. It is there to help with the implementation of all NDIS supports within a participant's plan, and helps participants with connections to (formal) mainstream and (informal) community supports.
Support Coordination is located under the Capacity Building Category with the NDIS price guide. Depending on NDIS participant's individual goals, plan objectives and aspirations a person may receive Support Coordination funding in their plan.
This support will assist you to build the skills you need to understand, implement and use your plan. A support coordinator will work with you to ensure a mix of supports are used to increase your capacity to maintain relationships, manage service delivery tasks, live more independently and be included in your community.
This is a higher level of support coordination. It is for people whose situations are more complex and who need specialist support. A specialist Support Coordinator will assist participants to manage challenges within the support environment and ensuring consistent delivery of service.
Gaining access to Support Coordination Funds
The NDIS may include Support Coordination funds in the plan of a participant who has:
- Complex or high-intensity needs,
- Cognitive impairment.
- Limited or no informal supports.
- Living in remote locations where there is limited access to service providers.
- English as a second language.
- Limited access to technology.
- Housing difficulties.
What does a Support Coordinator do?
A Support Coordinator:
- Understands NDIS plans and has the knowledge to help participants read and understand their plan.
- helps a participant with building the capacity to manage their own NDIS plan.
- provides links and helps build relationships with providers and stakeholders.
- helps manage a participants NDIS budget.
- is available for Crisis Planning, Prevention, Mitigation and Action.
- helps prepare participants for their annual NDIS plan reviews and reporting to the NDIA.
Support Coordinators are not funded to provide the following:
- Participant Transport
- Plan Management
- Disability Support
- Case Management