Message from National Director for Education
13 April 2017
As you may be aware, Aspect Macarthur School has been involved in an investigation following allegations from a parent dating back to 2012-2013.
The investigation was conducted by the New South Wales Education Standards Authority (NESA) in 2016 and these are the results.
We took this investigation very seriously because, at all our Aspect Schools, the safety and wellbeing of our students are our top priorities. So, this was an opportunity for us to learn and further improve.
The investigation found that in 2012 and 2013, Aspect Macarthur School had policies and procedures in place for providing a safe and supportive environment for all of its students. The report also made a number of recommendations, including:
• Develop site specific procedures based on Aspect’s policies.
• Review safe school practices, fences, playgrounds including risk assessments.
As a result of those recommendations we have undertaken the following:
• Aspect Macarthur School has developed work instructions that reflect the specific and particular context of the school and its campuses.
• Processes around Positive Behaviour Support have been reviewed with improvements in monitoring to ensure ongoing compliance.
• Supervision and risk management protocols have been reviewed and staff provided with additional training around safe school practices.
In addition, during 2016, as part of the school’s application for renewal of registration and accreditation, NESA carried out further inspections.
The school was found to be fully compliant with the requirements for registration.
This period has represented a period of thorough examination of the way to do things, and we as an organisation are better for it. It has helped us better understand how to tailor our work to the uniqueness and individuality of each person on the spectrum in the particular school they attend, so that each student can reach their full potential.
As a member of our community, we wanted to provide you with an update on this matter. If you have any questions please contact the undersigned.
Ms Elizabeth Gadek
National Director, Aspect Education